Soil Survey Suitability Classification and Land Use Updating Project of the Municipality of Palompon, Leyte
The Soil Survey Suitability Classification and Landuse Updating Project of Palompon, Leyte was started last January 9, 2012 and finally completed each field work activity last February 20, 2012 through the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) dated October 11, 2011 entered by and among the BSWM and LGUs of Palompon, Leyte. The final output and the turn over of the project is expected by mid of June this year.
Its objective was to generate a comprehensive soil data base that will facilitate the assessment of the productivity potential of utilized land and the possible formulation of recommended crops for every given type of soil.
The soil suitability maps, relief model and other landuse data will serve as guide to various agricultural development and planning activities of the Municipality of Palompon.
The project was implemented as a joint undertaking of the BSWM and the Local Government Units (LGU’s) of Palompon, Leyte. The survey was carried out for a period of 4 ½ months; 1 ½ months field work activities including the construction of 3-D Relief Model and three (3) months for laboratory analysis, evaluation, map preparation and report writing.
The project was financed by the Municipal Government of Palompon with the BSWM as project implementor. The fund was managed by the LGUs of Palompon, Leyte and the BSWM Project Management Team ensured the project outputs are met upon project completion.
|1.||Salvador A. Fabula||Overall Project Team Leader|
|2.||Oscar F. Costelo||Assistant Project Team Leader|
|3.||Berna G. Pastor||Team Member/ Soil Fertility Specialist|
|4.||Noemi M. Pascual||Team Member/ Soil Fertility Specialist|
|5.||Engr. Henry Cacayan||Team Leader (Climate/ Water Resources)|
|6.||Irvin K. Samalca||Team Leader (Landuse and Vegetation)|
|7.||Joselito N. Bangawan||Cartographer|
|8.||Armando B. Arcamo||SWAC/Relief Model Specialist|
|9.||Bonifacio Jogno, Jr.||GIS/Relief Model Specialist|
|10.||Dino R. Velasquez||Relief Model Specialist|
|11.||Jose Pepito Espenili||Relief Model Specialist|
|12.||Clarita D. Bacatio||Technical Supervisory Support (Soils)|
|13.||Felix N. Albano||Technical Supervisory Suppor (Carto)|
The Multi-Disciplinary Team of the BSWM has completed its activities, as follows;
- Courtesy call and orientation briefing to LGU officials.
- Soil, land use and vegetation cover, climate and water resources surveys.
- Collection of 135 soil profile samples. Description of 69 pit samples to define and separate soil mapping boundary by soil series.
- Establishment and mapping of eight (8) soil series with 27 corresponding soil mapping units, namely; Bongliw, Bugko, Umingan, Batuan, Faraon, Bolinao, Palompom and Lugo Series.
- Delineation and mapping of updated land use by Landsat thru ground thruthing with the use of GPS.
- Assessment of climate and water resources wherein seven (7) major and minor erosion rivers, two (2) waterfalls, and 15 springs in the municipality were identified.
- Soil survey with an area of 16, 586 hectares.
- Completion and turn over of 3-D Relief Model with the scale of 1:11, 000.
- Pre-final delineation of maps (soil, slope, erosion, landuse, soil/land limitation maps).
- Project report pre-final presentataion
Project outputs include:
- Soils, landuse and vegetation cover, slope, erosion, flooding, soil fertility, land limitation map and suitability for various crops.
- Proposed agri-development plan (six book-bound copies)
- Soil Report
- 3-D Relief Model
Despite the short project duration, the Project Team was able to accomplish more than what is expected. The municipality of Palompon will now be able to fully maximize their soil and water resources through the projects’ identification of appropriate crops for every soil type.
Through this undertaking, Mayor Ramon C. Oñate of Palompon, Leyte presented a letter of commendation to the BSWM and Project Staffs headed by Salvador A. Fabula expressing his thanks and gratitude for conducting the Soil Survey Suitability Classifcation and Land Use Updating Project of the Municipality.
Back to Articles list Back to top
SRDC Bldg. Visayas Avenue corner Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines 1101
Tel No. (632) 332-9534 | Facsimile No. (632) 332-9534 | Email: email@example.com